I love cookies any time of the year but winters excite me a little more in this department. Here is an easy recipe of crunchy oatmeal cookies. Enjoy!
1. Instant oats 1 cup
2. Flour 1 cup
3. Butter or ghee 1/2 cup
4. sugar white/ brown (as per choice) 3/4 cup
5. chopped nuts (optional)
6. raisins (optional)
7. Chocolate chips (optional)
8. mixed spice powder ( a pinch each of cinnamon, ginger, pepper, nutmeg powder)
9. zest of lime and orange (about a spoon full or so in all)
10. a pinch or two of salt (if using salted butter, no need for this)
11. water as per need.
Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease and line two cookie trays.
1. In a pan dry roast the instant oats till the smell all toasty. ( you can use a spoon of oil or butter for this)
2. In a big mixing bowl, rub the ghee/ butter into the flour till it looks like bread crumbs.
3. Add the oats and other dry ingredients to the bowl and mix together well with LOVE!
4.The mixture should be able to hold together on its own when pressed together.
5. Now add water little by little enough to just hold the dough together. if you break away a bit it should break easily.
6. What ever you do don’t knead the dough. we need the cookies to turn out crunchy so we mustn’t release the gluten.
7. roll the dough into a long cylinder about 7 cms in diameter and cut into equal discs about a centimeter thick. shape into cookies by flattening between the palms and set on the tray distributing equally. the cookies shouldn’t be too thin as they will not be very crunchy. its okay if they are uneven that adds to the look.
8. Bake for about 18- 20 mins but do keep checking then as ovens vary. you should have an even colour and don’t brown them too much the nuts/ raisins/ chocolate chips will burn.
9. Remove from the oven and cool on a grill.
10. Enjoy the happiness
The basic recipe allows to add and experiment as you please. I’ve shared with you a wintery spicy mix of things. You can change it as it suits you.
Have fun baking and do share the pictures!